What Is Regard? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS REGARD – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary described this term as the following:
- consider or think of (someone or something) in a specified way.
- gaze at steadily in a specified fashion.
- (of a thing) have relation to or connection with; concern.
- attention to or concern for something.
- high opinion; liking and respect; esteem.
- best wishes (used to express friendliness in greetings, especially at the end of letters).
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- a protective interest
- a feeling of respect and affection
- the worth or estimation in which something or someone is held
- an aspect to be taken into consideration
- a basis of action or opinion
- to consider and appraise usually from a particular point of view
- to pay attention to
- take into consideration or account
Here are some of the following synonyms of this term:
- look on
- fixed look
It is a Middle English term which is from the Old French regarder or ‘to watch’
Here are some of the examples:
- Lifting her gaze to meet his intent regard, she implored him
- I regard my pupil as a free and active being, whose own spontaneous impulses must be my surest guide.
- He had no regard for the sentimental value of the farm where she grew up, nor any confidence that she was capable of running it.
- The other was that vague and quite Russian feeling of contempt for everything conventional, artificial, and human–for everything the majority of men regard as the greatest good in the world.
comment(s) for this post “What Is Regard? Definition And Usage Of This Term”. Tell us what you think abut this post by leaving your comments below.